Monday, January 23, 2017

Rhonda Bowen's "Man Enough For Me"

Title: Not My Cup Of Tea
Man Enough For Me by Rhonda Bowen

Reviewed by: T's Blogging
2017

Good morning family, friends, and page watchers. I have to share this one with you. Before I go spilling the beans, can I please come clean about something? Okay, here I go. I sent my cousin, who shall remain nameless, to the library to get a few books, and I specifically told her, "Please do not bring me back any baby momma drama novels," which I am ashamed to admit I used to associate with books from the African American genre. Now, before you go bashing me, I can admit when I'm wrong. And I can even admit that my stereotypical views needed major reprogramming. However, I refuse to lie, it was hard for me to even attempt to read this book until it somehow found it's way in my lap. So what changed? Let me tell you.
     Rhonda Bowen's main character, Jules Jackson is a single, well-put-together woman that is an over-thinker and as one of the most overbearing, up in your business, always has something negative to say mother. And while Jules' mother makes it very clear how disappointed she is about Jules' life and career choice, Jules also struggles with daddy issues. Unknowingly, Jules upbringing plays a big role in her focusing on work and staying as far as she can from any man that rings any warning/proceed with caution alarms. However, there's always that one guy that can slip right between the walls that a woman barricades her heart inside. And in this story that man's name is Germaine Williams.
     To refrain from giving you all the details let me just say, Germaine catches Jules' eye and before you know it, the wall around Jules' heart is down and she is intoxicated by like, lust, and maybe even love. But, in every relationship, or so it seems, something happens and destroys the bliss. Now, the questions that kept nudging me to read more were: will Jules' past issues with trust resurface, causing her to create an issue between her and Germaine? Or is the smooth talking guy really a wolf in sheep's clothing? And guess what? The answers to these questions are awaiting book lovers in this Christian base novel, that is enriched with wholesome and religious metaphors that's good for the soul.
     Although this book taught me that I cannot judge a book by the genre, I have to admit the story does lack in the character and reader connection. I can definitely relate to Jules' issues with trust. However, at times her emotions read forced. For example, if Jules were a real person, and we were friends, I would view her as fake--someone that can turn on and off her emotions at any given time. It is as if the main character's emotions were only surface. Perhaps my feeling stem from the fast pace of the novel, but that may be a stretch.
     Nonetheless, I enjoyed this read. And honestly, I would read more books written by Author Rhonda Bowen.

I give this read 3.75 stars

Until next week.

T's Blogging    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a book suggestion? Let me know.

**ALERT! English and Communication Majors: McWood Publishing is looking for creative interns! Visit www.mcwoodpub.com for more information**